Friday, January 18, 2013

Envisioning in Prism

Generally will be reviewing 2 highlighting products I have come to recently purchase. 


So, couple weeks ago somewhere in last month, I made a wish list to replace some of my decrepit makeup. Shamelessly, the very grandiose highlighter from Guerlain was one of them for the steep price of $58 + tax.  This was actually the first item I saw when I first entered the Sephora website way back when I was in 6th or 7th grade.  Ever since then, I told myself 'you need to own that one day.' Of course I was just a little kid who was fascinated by the packaging and the price more than the product, but the first encounter left a deep impression enough for me to splurge on one 10 years later. Thanks to a hefty amount of store credits I had left over, I was able to buy one over winter-break as a Christmas treat for myself. 

So what do I think of it after finally getting my hands on it?
It's an interesting concept of packaging, and I think that's where most of the fun and experience is coming from.  Because I don't think the make up alone works up to $58 highlighter/complexion corrector.  It does have a slight brightening power when applied all over the face, but it's really subtle. In the brightening area, I was a little disappointed. I guess what I was hoping out of a lavishly priced product was to have a similar before and after contrast that applying foundation or concealer has on a bare face.  BUT KEEP IN MIND, I'M EXTREMELY PALE (like ghostly pale) so that may be the reason why it's not having much effect for me...even though I got the lightest shade...

Anyways, the overall texture is really smooth and powdery (not in a bad way, and not chalky).  There are subtle glitters here and there which I think adds a nice touch to things. I've also heard that these can last you a very long time and I concur with that. The packaging is absolutely gorgeous!  The little balls remind me of those round hard candies that came in little tin cans when growing up. The overall packaging is very 18th century French.  It's something I could see Mary Antoinette owning one herself. 

I don't see myself returning it, but I probably won't be repurchasing it in the future unless I come across a hefty amount of disposable income and have a urge to feel Baroque, or if Guerlain decides to come out with a lighter shade with more illuminating power.

Tear Eye Liner from Etude House in Sunlight
Screw cap hole is too small that it's creating a mess on the screw

I've jumped on the bandwagon for the tear liner that's been a rave in Asian population.  These are suppose to help achieve the doe eye many Korean celebs been endorsing these days. The liners have finely ground micro glitter that catch the light in the most delectable way so it gives these teary eye effect.
They are generally applied as a lower liner in the inner corner and the center of the eye. The formula is very sheer because there's dangers in applying too much -- you'd end up looking like a disco ball struck you in the eye. And frankly, that look can be labeled "cheap."  You want to apply the liner with light hand making sure the micro glitters are evenly and subtly distributed.

Overall, I really like the product. For being around 6-7 dollar, it's great! I use it like every time I wear makeup now!  The micro glitters in here remind me of how mica from mineral makeups reflect light.  If you owned sparkly mineral makeup before, you know what I mean.  They sparkle differently from regular powder makeup.  The lasting power is around 6 hrs with out much damage.  After 8 hours or so they start fading away, but when they do the glitters don't move all over the face.  It's probably because they start flaking of instead of smearing off.
One thing that bugs me, is the packaging. The screw cap hole is too small that the excess product on the wand keeps scrapping off on to the screw top when closing causing this messy top.  Other than that, the liner is something I would repurchase in the future.

1 comment:

  1. D8 your twitter icon on youtube provides no link!!

    Also, you probably know too, but the video is shaky and unfocused sometimes... makes me kind of dizzy. @_@

    But other than that, awesome video! I loved how you made faces in between. It was cute and funny. Hope you're doing well and glad you indulged on something for yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete